The Institute of Biodiversity of the Johann Heinrich von Thuenen Institute, Federal Research Institute for Rural Areas, Forestry and Fisheries, is offering a full-time (currently 39 hours per week), fixed-term position to 30.09.2021 to be filled as soon as possible for a
The tasks comprise research and coordination within the project â€œFInALâ€�. In the frame of the â€œAction Programme for Insect Protectionâ€� (â€žAktionsprogramm Insektenschutzâ€œ), FInAL will establish landscape laboratories in typical and representative agricultural landscapes of Germany in which innovative measures for facilitation of insects through integrated cultivation of renewable resources in a landscape context will be developed, demonstrated and evaluated.
The Thuenen Institute of Biodiversity conducts research and develops scientific foundations as well as scientifically-based concepts in the field of biological diversity of agricultural landscapes. The institute provides consulting for politics with respect to current and strategic questions within its scientific-ecological field of competence.
The successful candidate will suppport the scientific project management and the coordination of the cooperating partners and supervise the planning and implementation of measures in the landscape laboratories. She/ he will also contribute to the development and scientific evaluation of measures of landscape design for facilitation of insects based on cultivation of renewable resources. Further tasks are development of concepts (lists of indicator/ character species) and field work (monitoring) related to vascular plants.
- Project management: supervision of the project progress and milestones through periodical internal reports as well as coordination of reporting duties to the project funders
- Organisation and coordination of project meetings
- Coordination of the collaboration of project partners
- Project management in the fields of data storage, databases of the whole project and development and coordination of a data-management strategy
- Support of public relations work aimed at the general public and subject-specific target groups
- Collaboration in the development of specific scenarios for the landscape laboratories regarding options of facilitation of insects in cultivation systems in the context of the surrounding landscape
- Support of the development of methods for automated collection of data on floral resources and (micro-)habitat structures (e.g. patches of open soil) on different land-use/ land-cover types
- Baseline monitoring of key indicators in the landscape laboratories with focus on vascular plants as well as methods related to floristic character species of insect-friendly grassland and arable land
- Publishing in international and national scientific journals; oral presentations
- University degree (M.Sc., diploma) in Landscape Ecology, Nature Conservation, Geoecology, Agricultural Sciences or a related field
- A Phd in one of these subjects is desirable
- To be interested in questions in the fields of agricultural or environmental sciences is a prerequisite
- Experience with project coordination and management is required
- Good knowledge of and experience with field work or field experiments is desirable
- Good knowledge of MS/ Open Office applications, particularly Excel, is desirable
- Basic knowledge of statistical data analysis, preferably with R, is desirable
- Profound knowledge of vascular plant species and experience with field methods related to botany or vegetation science is required
- Autonomous working style is required
- Good capacity for teamwork and flexibility are required
- Very good knowledge of English (written and spoken) is required
- Driving licence class III (B) is required
- Readiness for frequent travels lasting several days within Germany is required
We offer the possibility to work in an active and stimulating scientific environment on questions of high relevance at the intersection between basic and applied life science and agriculture. As the professional and personal development of our employees is important to us, the Thuenen Institute offers a family-friendly environment, flexible working hours and the possibility for further training and qualification.
The employment is governed by the Wage Agreement for Public Services (TVOED-Bund). The payment of remuneration is carried out according to tariff-category 13 TVOED. The place of employment is Braunschweig.
The Thuenen Institute promotes the professional equality of women and men and is thus especially interested in applications from women. Severely disabled applicants with equal qualification will be given particular consideration. Only a minimum physical aptitude is expected from them.
Please contact Prof. Dr. Jens Dauber (phone 0531 596-2501) or Dr. Jan Thiele (phone 0531 596-2586) for enquiries about the position.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, addresses of two personal references and copies of relevant certificates. Electronic submission is preferred. All application material must be compiled in one single pdf-document and submitted with reference â€ž18-251-BDâ€œ not later than November 26 2018 to:
Prof. Dr. Jens Dauber
Institut fuer BiodiversitÃ¤t
Johann Heinrich von Thuenen-Institut,
Bundesforschungsinstitut fuer LÃ¤ndliche RÃ¤ume, Wald und Fischerei
Thuenen Institute of Biodiversity
Brunswick/ Braunschweig, Germany
Ansprechpartner: Jens Dauber, email@example.com