The Institute of Biodiversity of the Johann Heinrich von Thuenen-
Institute, Federal Research Institute for Rural Areas, Forestry and
Fisheries, is offering a part time (50% with currently 19,5 hours per
week), fixed-term position to 30 September 2021 to be filled as soon as
possible for a
The tasks comprise research on the diversity of soil fauna and their
provision of ecosystem services in arable soils. The position is part
of the project â€œFInALâ€�.
The Thuenen Institute of Biodiversity conducts research and develops
scientific foundations as well as scientifically-based concepts in the
field of biological diversity of agricultural landscapes. The institute
provides consulting for politics with respect to current and strategic
questions within its scientific-ecological field of competence. In the
frame of the â€œAction Program for Insect Protectionâ€� (â€žAktionsprogramm
Insektenschutzâ€œ), FInAL will establish landscape laboratories in
typical and representative agricultural landscapes of Germany in which
innovative and complex measures through integrated cultivation of
renewable resources in a landscape context will be developed,
demonstrated and evaluated.
- Designing and conducting field and lab experiments on the role of
soil microarthropod communities in arable soils for soil processes and
- Analysis and quantification of decomposition and turnover of organic
residues by soil microarthropod communities
- Identification of soil microarthropod communities and their
- Statistical data evaluation by means of adequate programs
- Contribution to developing recommendations for agricultural
- Writing scientific publications and reports as well as presentation
of results at conferences and project meetings
- University degree (M.Sc./diploma) in Biology, Geoecology,
Agricultural Sciences or in a related field with focus on soil biology
and soil science
- Basic knowledge of structural and functional diversity of soil fauna
and their role for soil processes and ecosystem services
- Basic knowledge of taxonomy and identification of soil
- Basic knowledge of microscopy
- Basic knowledge of statistical data analysis, preferably with R
- Ability for interdisciplinary cooperation and personal engagement,
flexibility, team capability, openness and high motivation in taking
over new tasks
- Very good knowledge of English (written and spoken)
- Driving license class III (B)
- Willingness for travels lasting several days within Germany
The employment is governed by the Wage Agreement for Public Services
(TVOED-Bund). The payment of remuneration is carried out according to
tariff-category 13 TVOED. The place of employment is Braunschweig.
In addition to the employment it is possible to incorporate the
research results into a Ph.D. dissertation.
The Thuenen Institute promotes the professional equality of women and
men and is thus especially interested in applications from women.
Equally qualified handicapped applicants will be given preference. A
minimum of physical fitness, however, is required.
For scientific enquiries about the position please contact Prof. Dr.
Jens Dauber (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) or Prof. Dr. S. Schrader
Applicants should submit a motivation letter, curriculum vitae and
copies of relevant certificates. Electronic submission is preferred.
All application material must be compiled in one single pdf-document
and submitted with reference â€žFInAL SoilBiolâ€� not later than 23
November 2018 to
Thuenen Institute of Biodiversity
Brunswick/ Braunschweig, Germany
Ansprechpartner: Jens Dauber, email@example.com