Dear previous Participants of our Summerschool,
this year Hans-Jörg Vogel, Kurt Roth and I will again organise a summer
school on "Flow and Transport in Terrestrial Systems". We are especially
proud, that we could get Eckart Priesack, Helmholtz Center München, as a
Further informations can be found below. Please note that this year the
summer school will already start at end of July. It would be very kind
if you could point it out to potentially interested students, Ph.D.
students etc. Please find also attached a poster advertising the
workshop. The deadline for registration is in three weeks at May 31.
Summer School on Flow and Transport in Terrestrial Systems
(July 29 - August 2, 2013)
This summer school provides a compact presentation of current concepts
on flow and transport in the subsurface of terrestrial systems.
Thematically, it encompasses the flow of groundwater and soil water, the
transport of dissolved chemicals, and the coupling between soil and
atmosphere. It covers the underlying physical processes, the multi-scale
architecture of terrestrial systems, and the resulting macroscopic
phenomena as well as their numerical simulation and methods for
estimating effective representation.
The main goals of this summer school are:
1. thorough understanding of the natural processes and of the
limitations of their model representations and
2. operational command of corresponding numerical simulation tools.
The course material includes comprehensive lecture notes as well as
state-of-the-art numerical simulation tools.
Advanced students and researchers active in the field of physical
processes within the unsaturated zone and groundwater. Participants
should be skilled in basic physics and maths.
1. Water flowing through aquifers and soils
2. Hierarchical structure of terrestrial systems
3. Transport of dissolved chemicals
4. Modelling and Simulation
5. Parametrisation and Parameter Estimation
6. Plant-soil-atmosphere interactions
The summer school is organized by
* K. Roth, Institute of Environmental Physics, Heidelberg University
* O. Ippisch, Interdisciplinary Center for Scientific Computing,
* H.-J. Vogel, Department of Soil Physics, Helmholtz Centre for
Environmental Research - UFZ, Leipzig/Halle
On Friday, August 2, Eckart Priesack, Helmholtz Center München, will
give a special lecture on plant-soil-atmosphere interactions.
The summer school will take place at the Interdisciplinary Center for
Scientific Computing at Heidelberg University which provides also a
modern computer pool for the hands on exercises.
Participation is free of charge for students at Heidelberg University.
For other participants the registration fee is 200 €. Registration is
required for all participants. The registration fee covers:
* Course materials
* Coffee breaks
* Participation at the summer school dinner (without drinks).
Please register until May 31, 2013 at
Further informations can be found at